Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh
Khajuraho is a small town located in the state of Madhya Pradesh, India. It is known for its ancient Hindu and Jain temples, which are renowned for their intricate sculptures and carvings. The temples were built between 950 and 1050 AD and are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temples are divided into three groups, the Western Group, the Eastern Group, and the Southern Group. The temples are dedicated to various Hindu gods and goddesses, including Shiva, Vishnu, and Parvati. The temples are also known for their erotic sculptures, which depict various aspects of human life. Khajuraho is also home to a number of other attractions, including the Khajuraho Dance Festival, the Khajuraho Wildlife Sanctuary, and the Khajuraho Museum.
Khajuraho is home to a number of other attractions, including the Khajuraho Dance Festival, the Khajuraho Wildlife Sanctuary, and the Khajuraho Museum. The town is also home to a number of other monuments, including the Lakshmana Temple, the Kandariya Mahadev Temple, and the Chausath Yogini Temple. The town is also home to a number of other attractions, such as the Raneh Falls, the Panna National Park, and the Ajaigarh Fort. The town is also home to a number of other activities, such as boating, bird watching, and trekking. The town is also home to a number of other festivals, such as the Maha Shivratri Festival and the Khajuraho Festival of Dance.
Things to do in Khajuraho
The Khajuraho Group of Monuments are a group of Hindu and Jain temples in Chhatarpur district, Madhya Pradesh, India, about 175 kilometres southeast of Jhansi. They are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temples are famous for their nagara-style architectural symbolism and their erotic sculptures.
Most Khajuraho temples were built between 885 AD and 1050 AD by the Chandela dynasty. Historical records note that the Khajuraho temple site had 85 temples by the 12th century, spread over 20 square kilometers. Of these, only about 25 temples have survived, spread over six square kilometers. Of the surviving temples, the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple is decorated with a profusion of sculptures with intricate details, symbolism and expressiveness of ancient Indian art.
When these monuments were built, the boys in the place lived in hermitages, by being brahmcharis (bachelor) until they attained manhood and these sculptures helped them to learn about the worldly role of ‘householder’. The Khajuraho group of temples were built together but were dedicated to two religions, Hinduism and Jainism, suggesting a tradition of acceptance and respect for diverse religious views among Hindus and Jains in the region.