Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Gar firdaus bar-rue zamin ast, hami asto, hamin asto, hamin ast.” “If there is a heaven on earth, it’s here, it’s here, it’s here.” Mughal Emperor Jehangir said it all when he visited Kashmir in the 17th century.
Srinagar is the summer capital of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is located in the Kashmir Valley on the banks of the Jhelum River. It is known for its beautiful lakes, gardens, and houseboats. Popular tourist attractions include the Dal Lake, the Mughal Gardens, and the Shankaracharya Hill. Other activities include visiting the Hazratbal Shrine, the Jama Masjid Mosque, and the Pari Mahal. Shopping is also a popular activity in Srinagar, with a variety of markets and bazaars selling traditional Kashmiri handicrafts, carpets, and shawls. Adventure seekers can also enjoy trekking, skiing, and paragliding in the nearby mountains.
Places to visit Srinagar
- Visit the Dal Lake, a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains.
- Take a shikara ride on the Dal Lake, a traditional boat ride.
- Visit the Hazratbal Shrine, a Muslim shrine that is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Kashmir.
- Visit the Shankaracharya Temple, a Hindu temple that is one of the oldest temples in Kashmir.
- Stay few nights in House-boats of Dal lake
- Visit the Mughal Gardens, a series of beautiful gardens that were built by the Mughal emperors.
- Go trekking in the mountains around Srinagar, there are many beautiful trails to choose from.
- Visit the Pahalgam Valley, a beautiful valley that is known for its stunning scenery.
- Visit the Gulmarg Valley, a beautiful valley that is known for its skiing and snowboarding.