Nongriat is about a lot more than just the double decker root bridge. You have to walk about more than three kilometres and through a series of 3,500 stone-hewn on the trail to Nongriat. On reaching the place, you will find that the place is filled with natural pools, waterfalls, lagoons and many more wonderful natural beauties which will captivate your eyes throughout. Another hour from the area, you will find yourself amidst one of the place’s breathtaking gems — the Rainbow Falls.
The living root bridges of Nongriat village are one of the manmade wonders, dating back many centuries. The aerial roots of Banyan tree on opposite sides of the river are continuously twisted, given direction and woven together, till it can be shaped and strengthened into a sturdy bridge. This is the only means for the villagers to cross the raging water streams to reach the other side. There are two living root bridges in Nongriat, a single deck bridge, and a double decker bridge.
Nongriat is a small village located in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya, India. It is known for its lush green landscape, its spectacular waterfalls, and its unique culture. The village is home to a number of tourist attractions, such as the Double Decker Living Root Bridge, the Rainbow Falls, and the Nongriat Viewpoint. Additionally, the village is home to a number of religious sites, such as the Nongriat Monoliths and the Nongriat Sacred Forest.
Additionally, the village is home to a number of adventure activities, such as trekking, rock climbing, and mountain biking. Additionally, the village is home to a number of cultural attractions, such as the Nongriat Arts and Crafts Centre and the Nongriat Heritage Museum. The village is also home to a number of educational institutions, such as the Nongriat College and the Nongriat Institute of Technology.
Things to do in Nongriat
- Trekking: Nongriat is home to a variety of trekking trails, ranging from easy to difficult.
- Sightseeing: Nongriat is home to a variety of attractions, including the Double Decker Living Root Bridge, the Rainbow Falls, and the Nohkalikai Falls.
- Adventure Sports: Nongriat is a great place for adventure sports, such as paragliding, rock climbing, and zip-lining.
- Shopping: Nongriat is home to a variety of shops and markets, making it a great place to shop for souvenirs and local goods.
- Caving: Nongriat is home to a variety of caves, making it a great place to explore and discover the hidden wonders of the area.